Maintenance Tips from the Pool Doctor
Below are a list of popular maintenance tips, suggestions and recommendations. If you do not see the answer to a question you may have, feel free to ask the Pool Doctor. Also feel free to send in your own tips and tricks.
In ground Pool Openings
- Drain water off pool cover and empty water bags
- Take off pool cover and allow to dry
- Take out all winter plugs and skimmer gizmo
- Replace skimmer basket, safety grates, and water directional
- At the filter system, screw drain plugs back into pump housing and automatic chlorine feeders.
- Install drain cap at bottom of filter
- Install pressure gauge and backwash sight glass onto filter
- Place multi-port valves into the filter position
- Place pump basket into housing and fill pump with water (prime it)
- Place cover on pump and tighten
- Turn power on to pump.
- Once water is circulating add correct amount of Oxidizer and algaecide (consult B&L Pools for correct amount)
- Fold winter cover up and place in safe storage area along with other winter accessories.
Winter in ground pool closings
- Layout and fill Water bags (for safety covers, screw up brass anchors from pool deck.
- Add closing chemicals: Oxidizer and winter algaecide (consult B&L Pools for correct amounts)
- Shut down filter system
- A. Open pump lid, unscrew drain plugs from pump housing let water drain.
- B. Place multi-port valve into winter position.
- C. Unscrew drain cap on filter bottom, unscrew pressure gauge and sight glass from filter top.
- D. Take any chlorine out of automatic feeders or skimmers.
- E. Remove any drain caps from automatic feeders and let drain.
- F. For heaters: blow water out of heater and shut off gas!
- Take skimmer basket, safety grates and water directional out of pool and replace with winter plugs and skimmer gizmo.
- Pull cover over pool and secure with water bags- or anchors for safety covers.
** Turn off power to filter system!!
*** Safety Covers: If sagging, adjust straps to tighten.